No plumbing supply or major plumbing leak
- In the case of a major leak and gushing water turn off the main water supply to your home.
- Check to see if you can figure out the location or cause of the leak.
Once the water is shut off call Thornridge Homes or the Plumber noted on the Emergency Contacts list..
Dry up any water from the leak to prevent water damage.
Toilet is blocked
- Low flush toilets may require multiple flushing.
- Use a plunger to force minor obstructions past the toilet trap.
- Run a clean out auger or ‘snake' down drainpipe to break up obstructions or to hook onto and pull out objects.
- Thornridge Homes will inspect a toilet blockage while under warranty. Contact Customer Care to have the blockage checked to ensure it is not resulting from construction debris. Any blockage found to be a result of homeowner misuse or improper maintenance is excluded from the warranty.
Hammer sound occurs when shutting off faucet
Turn faucet off in a more gentle motion.
If problem persists, turn off main water valve and drain system from lowest point of the house, eg; Laundry tub in the basement.
Sound throughout the house when exterior hose bibs are turned on
The backflow preventer needs replacing.
Toilet appears not to flush properly
In order to preserve water consumption, the industry is required to install low flush toilets. A good tip is to hold down the lever for a few extra moments when flushing.
Toilet runs on
Lift tank lid and inspect that the chain or cord to the valve flapper has not come loose.
Ticking sounds coming from walls
This is created from copper water pipes or drain pipes which expand and contract when heating up or cooling down. This is a common occurrence.
Leak in plumbing water lines (plastic pipes)
All sinks and toilets have shut-off valves.
- Turn off water valve where necessary.
If the above is not effective, follow the recommended procedure:
- Cold water line leak – Shut off main valve located by water meter in basement.
- Hot water line leak – Shut off valve at hot water tank.
Leak in plumbing drain lines
Discontinue use of that particular fixture until repaired.
No hot water (hot water tank not working)
Are you missing hot water in an isolated area or through-out your entire home?
If it is isolated, then it is not a problem with your hot water tank.
- Check to see if the shut off valves to the fixture lacking hot water are fully open.
If the above tip does not work, call Thornridge Homes or our Plumber noted on the list of emergency contact numbers.
If your hot water is missing through-out the home:
- Check the circuit breaker.
- Check to see if the unit is plugged in.
- Check if the gas valve is on.
- Check the temperature setting on your hot water tank.
If the above trouble shooting tips do not work, please call your water tank rental supplier for service.